Over time, I've had the good fortune of being able to support a number of worthwhile organizations. If you are in a position to give, please consider joining me in ensure those doing good can continue their work.
- Mastodon Ongoing Development
- Wikimedia Foundation (the folks behind, among other things, Wikipedia)
- The Internet Archive
- Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
- The Markup, nonprofit practitioners of data-driven journalism
In the past, I’ve also donated to the The Long Now Foundation. I also support a number of independent creators through Patreon. That list includes Pi-Hole Advertisement Blocking, the code-based music creation tool, Sonic Pi, the always edcucational engineering of Voidstar Labs, and Sam Battle, the musical inventor, educator, and museum curator known as Look Mum No Computer, among others.
- Project Wren (I offset 19 tons of carbon in 2021, 30.2 tons in total)
- Eden Reforestation Projects
- Nature Conservancy in Minnesota
Previously, I’ve also supported Ecologi (formerly Offset Earth). I wrote about my initial impressions of each of these services several years ago.
Community Growth and Healing
- Electronics Recycling and Jobs Programs by Repowered
- Relief efforts by World Central Kitchen
- People Incorporated, a group dedicated to supporting mental health and community wellness in the St. Paul, MN area
- That Capital Area Food Bank
- Martha's Table
- American Immigration Council
In 2020, I also supported 'The Great Slate' of candidates through a donation to ActBlue. At the end of 2021, I made a one time donation to Doctors Without Borders. I also gave to the House for All Sinners and Saints, a Denver-based ELCA congregation, for many years.